March for the Alternative



Last Saturday I was in Central London taking part in the March for the Alternative. This was a last-minute decision. I already had plans for that weekend. I'm not the sort of person who goes on marches, or even gets involved in anything relating to politics.

I went because I am angry about the prospective cuts, to libraries of course but also to the other public services I've always taken for granted. I was relieved to find so many people on the march who clearly felt the same way. There was a great atmosphere all the way from Embankment to Hyde Park, with people of all ages and from all walks of life. I didn't see any evidence of violence.



I wish I'd made plans to go earlier, because I might have been able to meet up with some of the other librarians who were going - I decided not to try on the day because I only know them through Twitter and there were so many people there I was sure I wouldn't be able to find them! If any of you are reading this - maybe next time! I found the day really rewarding and worthwhile and if there's another march any time soon, I'll be there.

No comments: